Interviewing a sitter is an incredibly important and personal process – which for many, can be overwhelming. Having questions prepared in advance of the interview is ideal – being upfront and open with the sitter will make them feel more comfortable and will allow for a better interview for both of you.
Taking the proper steps in the interview process is the best way to gauge if the sitter is the right person for the job & if they will be able work well with your children. Whether it is your neighbors child, a friend of a friend, or someone that you connected through a web or mobile app, take your time in this process so you can be worry-free the next time you embark on your child-free night.
The most important thing to remember when you are interviewing the sitter is to be yourself, and try to engage them in conversation throughout the questioning. Remember, they are probably incredibly nervous themselves, and you putting them at ease will help you really get more out of the interview.
- How long have you been babysitting for?
- What ages do you have experience with?
- Do you have any formal child development or childcare training?
- Do you have emergency training?
- Have you had to deal with any emergencies or stressful situations while sitting?
- Do you have references?
- What are your favorite & least favorite things about babysitting?
- Are you comfortable changing a diaper (if relevant)?
- How would you describe yourself (personality, disposition, etc.)
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- Do you have any siblings, have you cared for them?
- Do you smoke?
- What activities and/or games do you like to play with kids?
- What creative things do you like to do when you are sitting?
- What will you do when the TV is off?
- How would you involve the children with preparing snacks or a meal?
- How do you handle conflicts with children?
- How do you handle children when they break the rules?
At ZipSit, we’re on a mission to ensure that the sitting process is made easier for both families and sitters. We’re doing just that by constantly innovating our mobile app to improve the global sitting industry for the better, so we can change the way families and sitters find, connect, schedule and transact with each other – all for free. For more information about our app, please visit https://zipsit.com.